I provide advice to a variety of organisations looking to review their own sustainability strategies in relation to sustainable food systems, bringing a food systems approach to their thinking and diagnosis. I use a wide variety of food systems tools and techniques ( systems mapping, food systems trends, etc) to identify key risks, opportunities and pathways for food systems action, innovation and action. I also provide more informal advice serving as a ‘critical friend’ to those organisations I work with, through 1:1 support or through expert group advisory panels.
I believe that sustainable nutrition, addressing the need for action across the food system, is a powerful tool which can be used to deliver on a range of social, health and environmental outcomes. It brings together thinking and action, from field to fork, to deliver better overall outcomes across the whole food system, both for human health and for the ecosystems that people and food production depend on. It is a powerful lens through which to embed sustainability across many businesses across the food and beverage sector at a senior level, as well as using the framing to explore how organisations can collaborate to deliver on the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals.
I have worked with a variety of businesses, growers, funding bodies and civil society organisations and have sit on a number of food company business advisory boards.
1) Feedback – Developing a food systems impact assessment framework assessing the impact for this global food waste charity ( March – May 2020)
2) McDonalds and Diageo – Food Systems Future Trends work as a contribution to their future strategies ( 2020)
3) Quorn Foods – Sustainability consultant supporting Quorn foods with policy development (September -December 18)
3) Big Lottery Fund – Stakeholder engagement, Sustainable Food landscape mapping work facilitating workshops and completing a report identifying a range of BLF identify future sustainable food funding priorities (July – October 2018)
5) Sainsburys and M&S – Workshop /strategy support with a focus on sustainable nutrition ( 2018/19)